Summer Internship Program
The Port of Palm Beach is offering a paid Summer Internship Program for 2024 high school graduates (enrolled in college in 2024) and college students interested in gaining work experience. The eight- week internship program provides comprehensive training and hands-on experience in specific departments with additional opportunities to learn about various aspects of the Port and its operations beyond the intern’s primary duties. There are positions available in the areas of accounting and finance, administration, communications, engineering, Information Technology, operations, planning, tenant relations, and working with port tenant Ozinga at its cement terminal. All interns will have the opportunity to train in two separate departments if they choose too.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in trade school, college or university (Academic credit may be granted)
- Current resident of Palm Beach County
- Preferably 18 years and over
Applicants are required to provide the following to be considered for an interview:
- One page resume
- 250-word essay on “Why you should be selected for the program”
- Certification of a 2.75 GPA or better and proof of college enrollment for fall 2024, such as transcripts
- At least (1) letter of recommendation from a school guidance counselor and/or advisor
Please note, interns must commit to the entierty of the program (June 3- July 26).
The purpose of the Port of Palm Beach Internship Program is to introduce interns to varies career fields within the Port industry and teach them valuable skills that can easily translate to any career.
Applications will be accepted for the Summer Intern Program from Monday, March 11 to end of business day Friday, April 26. Applicants can select up to three areas of study when applying.
Completed applications and supporting documentation can be submitted in one of four ways:
- Apply Online (Applications open March 11, 2024)
- Email Human Resources Manager Raquel Rivera
- Drop-off application and supporting documents at the Port Administrative Office located at One East 11th Street. Ste. 600 Riviera Beach, FL. 33404
- Mail the application and supporting documents to Raquel Rivera, One East 11th Street. Ste. 600 Riviera Beach, FL. 33404
The Selection Committee and department supervisors will review submissions. Interviews will be scheduled for sometime in the first two weeks of May.
Human Resources Manager Raquel Rivera will email offer letters to selected candidates at least two weeks before commencement of the program.
Oreintation will be held on the first day of the program, Monday, June 3, 2024. Interns shall bring a government issued identification card and social security card or a passport with them to the orientation. A pre-employment drug test will be conducted on this day.
Work schedules depend on the needs of the hiring division and the intern’s availability. Typically, interns are scheduled to work Monday through Friday 9:00 AM- 4:30 PM. The intern salary is $13.00 per hour, totaling 32.5 hours per week.
Interns will have a chance to explore different terminals and learn about the career opportunities at the port through our weekly "Port Activity Day."
Interns may attend the monthly Commissioners Meetings on June 20th and July 18th and have occasions throughout their stay to attend community events, meet Port and industry executives, business leaders, governmental officials and dignitaries.